Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield is facing a retrial after a jury were unable to agree whether he was guilty or not guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence.
The six men and six women found former Sheffield Wednesday secretary Graham Mackrell, 69, guilty of failing to discharge his duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act, but they were unable to reach a verdict on Duckenfield.
2
A jury were now unable to decide whether Duckenfield was guilty or not guilty of his charges
Jurors were discharged on Wednesday, their eighth day of deliberations, at Preston Crown Court. The CPS has indicated it will seek a retrial for Duckenfield.
About 60 family members gathered at the Cunard building in Liverpool gasped as the jury foreman told the court they could not reach a verdict for Duckenfield on which they were all agreed.
There were cheers as the guilty verdict for Mackrell was announced.
The jury retired to consider their verdicts on Monday, March 25, after a 10 week trial and after a week of deliberations were given a majority direction, meaning verdicts on which at least 10 of them agreed would be accepted.
They had deliberated for 29 hours and six minutes.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Retired chief superintendent Duckenfield denies the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans who died at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final.
The prosecution in the case had alleged Duckenfield, 74, had the “ultimate responsibility” at the ground for the match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989.
Under the law at the time he was not charged over the death of the 96th victim Tony Bland, as he died more than a year and a day after the disaster.
The court heard he ordered the opening of exit gates at the Leppings Lane end of the ground at 2.52pm, eight minutes before kick off, after the area outside the turnstiles became dangerously overcrowded.
More than 2,000 fans entered through exit gate C once it was opened and many headed for the tunnel ahead of them, which led to the central pens where the crush happened.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
- Accrington Stanley vs Sunderland (Wednesday 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Liverpool (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Norwich vs QPR (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Huddersfield vs Leicester (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester City vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Coventry vs Bristol Rovers (Sunday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Watford vs Wolves (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
Richard Matthews QC, prosecuting, told the court in his closing speech that Duckenfield, who was promoted to the role less than three weeks before the match, should have had the knowledge to make “key lifesaving decisions” on the day.
He said many of the failures alleged by the prosecution had been admitted by Duckenfield when he gave evidence at inquests Into the 96 deaths in Warrington in 2015.
Benjamin Myers QC, defending Duckenfield, told the jury those comments were made with the benefit of hindsight and some of the questioning did not take into account his memory of the day.
He argued the case was “breathtakingly unfair” and said Duckenfield had “tried to do the right thing”.
2
Liverpool fans display a banner in reference to the Hillsborough disaster during the Barclays Premier League match with Blackburn at Anfield in April 2009
Duckenfield’s defence case lasted just 74 minutes and consisted of read evidence from Bernard Murray, the late superintendent who worked as ground commander and Duckenfield’s deputy on the day.
Mackrell, who was safety officer for the club at the time, was accused of failing to take reasonable care particularly in respect of ensuring there were enough turnstiles to prevent unduly large crowds building up.
The court heard there were seven turnstiles for the 10,100 Liverpool fans with standing tickets.
Mackrell did not give evidence either but Jason Beer QC, defending him, argued the build up outside was caused by other factors, including a lack of police cordons and the unusual arrival pattern of fans.
The case was adjourned at Preston Crown Court until 2pm.
Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke wins race to become the new Scotland manager. the chance to manage his country. HOOPS BLAST Celtic say Jon Flanagan decision is 'huge embarrassment for Scottish
Steve Clarke is named new Scotland manager on three-year deal
Moise Kean saves Juventus to bring up stunning 10-year first Fox Sports - 31 Mar 2019 Rising teenage star Moise Kean stepped up in the absence of Cristiano Ronaldo to rescue a 1-0 win for Juventus against lowly Empoli on Saturday as the champions opened up an 18-point lead at the top of Serie A.
Chelsea are still in contract talks with David Luiz as he nears the end of his existing deal, manager Maurizio Sarri has confirmed. Luiz, the Brazil defender, is tied down to the Blues until the end of the season, and Sarri has previously expressed his desire..
Maurizio Sarri reveals fresh David Luiz contract talks
Harry Kane says he will "come back stronger" after an ankle injury threatened to rule the Tottenham striker out of the rest of the season. Kane, 25, was set for an MRI scan on Wednesday after
Kane vows to come back 'stronger than ever' after injury
Troy Deeney admits the FA Cup does not excite him and insists there is nothing special about Watford's semi-final against Wolves on Sunday. The Hornets have a rare opportunity to reach the final and win the competition, with Manchester City the only top-six side left - but Deeney is treating the fixture like any other game.
Troy Deeney EXCLUSIVE: 'Watford's FA Cup semi-final against
Manchester United face a monumental task in the UEFA Champions League, as they go up against FC Barcelona. FOX Sports Asia takes a look at 5 key battles that might decide the fate of the tie
Three key battles in UEFA Nations League semi-final clash
But there is no harm considering potential replacements for a player who appears to be letting his standards slip. So just who could Spurs bring in? Scroll down to see five potential transfer targets to replace Hugo Lloris with.
News list for five potential hugo lloris replacements after
Bayern Munich stars Kingsley Coman and Robert Lewandowski come to blows in heated training session and have to be separated by team-mates. Bayern players Lewandowski and Coman exchanged punches in
Niko Kovac insists Robert Lewandowski and Kingsley Coman will
Sarri can break Jose Mourinho's record if Chelsea beat rivals Arsenal in Europa League final the Italian claimed his first win as Chelsea manager in a 3-0 league win away to Huddersfield
Mourinho is a better manager than me and he is still 'The
Sports Mole looks at how Juventus could line up for Tuesday's Champions League clash with Manchester United, when Cristiano Ronaldo will return to Old Trafford.
Paulo Dybala to Manchester United: How Jose Mourinho's team
Manchester City Women host Chelsea Women on Sunday afternoon, as the two sides battle it out for a place in the Women's FA Cup final. It is a mouth watering semi-final tie, as the two most recent
Women's FA Cup Final 2019 LIVE stream and TV channel: Watch
INTER AND NIKE, THE NEW HOME KIT FOR 2015/16 The new home kit for the 2015/16 season was unveiled during Inter Night. The iconic wide black and blue stripes return, heralding the
New Juventus Away Kit 12-13- Nike Black Juventus Jersey 2012-2013
'Romelu Lukaku has the worst first touch I have EVER seen in the Premier League' - Micky Gray's damning assessment of Manchester United squad talkSPORT - 07 May 2019 Micky Gray has listed SEVEN players who are 'not good enough for Manchester United' and MUST be sold by the club this summer.
Manchester United to turn attention to Lukaku - One News Page
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been appointed as caretaker manager of Manchester United until the end of the season. The Norwegian will join from Molde, who have allowed Solskjaer to return to his
Gary Neville on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Man Utd appointment
No comments:
Post a Comment